[CH] April Fools' Day post, Is it for real?

Charles Demas (demas@sunspot.tiac.net)
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 18:23:37 -0500 (EST)

Rose,

Saw this article for a restaurant in New Orleans, and I was wondering if
it was for real or an April Fools' Day joke.  You live there, so perhaps
you can tell me.  It sounds far too good to be true, but strange things
happen.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

Here's that post:

| Newsgroups: rec.food.restaurants
| Subject: FLASH! NEW New Orleans Restaurant
| Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 17:45:40 GMT
|
| This is from the New Orleans Menuletter, a free newsletter published by
| Tom Fitzmorris, a local restaurant critic and radio personality. Enjoy...

| Circulation: 3807
| Share the taste of New Orleans with friends! Forward the MenuLetter
| to them and recommend that they ask for their own free subscriptions!
| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| RESTAURANT REVIEW
| The Best Restaurant In Town Just Opened--In A Bank
| By Tom Fitzmorris
|
| PGI Bank and Bistro
| Ratings: 99, 2$
| 601 Perdido (corner Camp), CBD
| Reservations essential: 524-0348.
| Lunch Wed.-Fri. Dinner Wed.-Sun.
| Cash only.
|
|     The questions I get asked the most are, "What's the best restaurant
| in town?" and "What's new?" I can now answer both questions with
| the same restaurant: the PGI Bank and Bistro, which opened a couple
| of weeks ago in the magnificent lobby that used to be the main office
| of the old International American Bank of Commerce Bank. Since
| three mergers ago those classic Art Deco headquarters have
| languished, waiting to serve again.
|     And serve it does. It's a real bank--the PGI stands for Progressive
| Guarantee Inc. But already its investors and ad people are calling it
| the Piggy Bank.
|     And it's also a real bistro. No modern banking operation needs the
| kind of space that these grand old main offices once sprawled over.
| So when the PGI guys took over they were originally going to just
| wall it over and lease most of it.
|     What happened is strange. Melvin LeMuth, PGI's president, tells
| of a long board of directors lunch at the Rib Room during the bank's
| planning stage. They had quite a few of those washbucket martinis,
| and somebody jokingly suggested that they serve food in the lobby.
| After the laughter died down, LeMuth said, "Why not? We're trying
| everything else in the banking business!"
|     So, when the PGI Bank opened its doors, there was a full-fledged
| restaurant right in the middle of the place. The setting was perfect: the
| marble floors, expensive wood tables and chairs, and lighting were
| classic bank fixtures, but they also were the stuff from which very
| grand restaurants are built.
|     All interesting enough. We move into the realm of amazing when
| the food starts coming out. It's a set table d'hote menu, changing
| monthly, with six courses being the standard for the rather amazing
| price of $17.50--which, the waiter is quick to point out, is also the
| interest rate the bank pays on big CDs.
|     Here's what they had for dinner when I went a couple of days ago.
| (Incidentally, both the restaurant and the bank tellers stay open till
| midnight here.)
|     You start with the crab cakes: solid jumbo lump meat, with a
> [...]

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas