Re: [CH] Tobacco = TMV

Charles Demas (demas@sunspot.tiac.net)
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 16:31:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Peter Moss wrote:

> > Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 06:38:11 -0400
> > From: "Byron.Bromley" <Byron.Bromley@Gsd-Co.Com>
> > Subject: [CH] Aphids plus
>
> > At little history of this bug spray.
>
> Pray tell Byron what is the likelihood that the tobacco or
> tobacco juice is infected with TMV (Tobacco Mosaic Virus) which
> also infects pepper plants (Capsicums)?
>
> This may be cheap but for Capsicum growers it is by no means a
> safe spray.  Funny you did not mention that when you are so
> careful to measure and check everything else.

I noticed that in making his spray, he boils the tobacco solution.

I don't know if this kills the virus or not.  Perhaps someone else
knows.

Unless it is known for sure, IMO, it's better to avoid using tobacco
anywhere near the garden, and smokers shouldn't smoke in the garden
either.  I think it's even required to wash before gardening if you're
a smoker.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas