Re: [CH] Calvin's Hindu peppers

Calvin Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Tue, 06 Apr 1999 21:08:38 -0500

Alex-
I'm afraid I don't know enough about a Dundicut Pepper to tell you.  The one I
call Hindu I got from a Motel owner in the Texas Hill Country who says it came
from India. It is the fastest variety I have ever seen or grown.  I planted
seeds on January 22 and have tiny peppers now.  In that respect they resemble
the hybrid "Superchile", but the fruit is hotter and the actual meat is
sweeter. (I know that sounds funny, but hot is not the opposite of sweet in
this case.)  The pods are 1 - 1.5" long and finger sized but tapered.
Occasionally I have had some plants give white fruit, indicating a hybrid
special breeding somewhere in the woodpile, but mostly they are bright red when
ripe.  Usually the plant has 4 - 8 flowers by the time it's 5" tall, no matter
how much root room it has.  After it gets going I will pick an average of a
fruit every day from each plant, which is also like a Superchile.  Let me know
how yours does.  I'm always interested in how my "babies" are doing elsewhere.
Calvin

SNIP