Re: [CH] Chiltepins in peat conatiners

Mike Gratton (uda@ibm.net)
Wed, 07 Apr 1999 19:20:44 -0400

I am a lurker on the list, and have to un-lurk to answer this one...I have
started chiltepin seeds and numerous others in the Jiffy-7 pellets in covered
seed starting containers. I start all of my seedlings under fluorescent lights
in these type of containers with great success (100% germination). This year, I
used Burpees chiltepin heirloom seeds, but have had similar results from scotch
bonnet, red savina, habanero, and other varieties. I thoroughly moisten the
pellets first, poke a hole with a pencil to drop in seeds, and monitor the
moisture weekly. Keeping the tray covered with the provided clear lid, I have no
maintenance until the seedlings are tall enough for potting up into pots or
garden. If you have questions, or would like to see pictures, e-mail me
privately.

Mike Gratton
Poquoson, VA in sunny and 70 zone 7-8