Re: [CH] Free Bread,

Tony (tony@nzol.net.nz)
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 08:37:09 +1200

Jim Campbell wrote:

> It's about CHILES!

AMEN to that.

Last year I planted my chills at 14 inches apart and 18 inches between
rows. Irrespective of type. The whole plot of some 60 plants grew very
crowded and loaded with fruit. While my plants do not achieve the size
of some grown by others reported on the list. (The size of New Zealand
compared to the USA may be a factor:-)

The Anaheim's grew to 5 feet and the Serranos, Habs and Jals 3 feet.

This year I gave them much more space 18 inches apart and 28 inches
between rows.
The plants are only half the size of last year.

While the weather conditions have been completely different between the
two summers. I believe that the closer spacing  gave  bigger stronger
plants as they compete for light and better pollination.

I had twice as much fruit last year. Which is not a bad thing as I
cannot use all I grow and none of the people here are interested in hot
food.
I may  have to cut down on the number of plants next year.

BTW I was a heavy smoker for about 40 years and never noticed any
problems with my veggies, but again my peppers here seem to be almost
completely bug free. Maybe none of the Kiwi bugs are Ch's?

Tony Flynn

Grandad. Retired at the Beach. Bay of Plenty. New Zealand