RE: [CH] Cross Country Nurseries

Porter, Jeff (jeff.porter@iga.com)
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:01:08 -0400

I drove to their greenhouse last year based on recommendations from this
list and also the fact that its only 1 1/2 hours away.  Janie (proprietor)
is very nice and informative.  All the pepper plants she had made me drool.
I believe last year she sold them for $1 each for pickup and $2 each for
delivery.  She showed me how she packages the plants to survive the shipping
and it was impressive.  I've heard others on this list say the packaging was
very good as well, I presume since they received shipped plants.  The other
thing she does with her plants before shipping them is to "top" them by
literally removing the top third of the plant prior to shipping.  They fit
better in the packaging and are ready to put on alot of growth when you get
them.  I ended up doing this with about half of my plants last year and was
impressed with the results.  A much bushier plant bearing more fruit than
those I left untouched.  I plan to visit her nursery again this year and buy
all of my plants from her.
On a side note, I'll warn everyone to be prepared for the worst if you order
any live plants from Burpee Seeds.  I got pepper plants from them last year
that were only packed in loose newspaper.  They were severely damaged when
they arrived.  I even called and bitched about it so they sent more to me
and those arrived in even worse condition.  I learned my lesson and won't
order from them anymore.
-JP-