RE: [CH] ....Words of Wisdom and raised bed question

Jeff James (JEFFJ@Attachmate.com)
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 10:13:27 -0700

Please don't take this as the word of an expert - remember how much you're
paying for this advice!

I personally feel that the arsenic in the wood could be bad for you - I have
no facts to back it up besides our dog who chewed on scrap pieces of PT-wood
and got horribly sick (and years later died at a very early age.)  Don't
know if they are connected or not.

If I were raising plants merely for myself, I would probably line it with
plastic and go to town.

If I were raising plants that my kids would eat some of, I'd use non-PT
wood, or construct the bed out of cinder blocks then surround it with
something pretty.  Is the chance that it could be bad for my kids worth
re-building the bed every couple of years?  Yup, it is in my mind.

Just my two cents.

-----Original Message-----
From: Linda Reynolds [mailto:lr21@cornell.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 1999 8:37 AM
To: Chile-Heads@globalgarden.com
Subject: [CH] ....Words of Wisdom and raised bed question

Friends,

Today's daily calendar reading that I have on my desk:

....So then, my beloved brethern (and sisteren)
let every man (woman) be swift to hear,.
slow to speak,
slow to wrath........

(slightly modified in () James 1:19 NKJV)

Now then,

I have a few raised bed questions stemming from a conversation here a week
or so ago.

I had intended to do a few raised beds as my FIL does and now am afraid
about all the comments about arsnic with pressure treated lumber.  He has
used 2x10's without and problems.  Is there enough arsnic in the wood that
would really be harmful?  Would it depend on the size of the bed, how water
seeps through and flushes out impurities, etc.?  What about polyuerthane
(sp?) on the wood rather than paint?

Any insight would be helpful.  I had wanted to do just salad, herbs and
garlic in the beds and my basic SOP with the rest of the garden.  We will
not be able to plant out til end of May, at least with seedlings.

Thanks in advance!
Linda in Upstate NY