Re: [CH] Cajun Catfish recipe needed

Calvin Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Sat, 01 May 1999 19:34:05 -0500

Tom-
Here's one that's really good on panfish, never tried it on catfish.
Wash fillets well with two or more rinses of water, then wash again in salt
water.
Pat fillets dry with paper towels, then set back or put back in fridge.
Add the juice of one lemon, one sliced hab or your favorite fresh pod (sans
seeds), a Tbs A-1 sauce, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, and just
enough water to puree in the blender.
Melt a stick of butter (preferably not margarine, but butter) in the microwave
with above puree until boiling starts.  Paint immediately on fillets with
basting brush.  Salt to taste and sprinkle with favorite chile powder to taste,
while butter mix is still warm. On well-oiled grill, grill each side to cook
fish completely over medium heat (thin fillets work well but the chef has to
take care not to let it fall apart).  A lot of the flavoring falls off, but
less if the fillet is dry when basted.  With panfish it only takes a few
minutes, just have to check for flakiness(sp?) on the catfish. When do we eat??

Calvin