Re: [CH] Rare Meat

danceswithcarp (dcombs@bloomington.in.us)
Thu, 13 May 1999 18:34:11 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 13 May 1999, Luke Van Santen wrote:

> Now most of you might already know this, but before my wife became
> pregnant, I did not. Wild game (or at least that served to pregnant
> women) must be cooked to an internal temp of at least 160F (just like
> hamburger) so that the expecting mother does not contract
> toxoplasmosis. Evidently, toxoplasmosis causes miscarriages. Enough
> said.
>
> Now, no one can say that I do not like meat rare - it is how I order
> it in restaurants (only because of the problems encountered when I
> tried to order raw). When cooking at home, several uncooked morsels
> help sustain the chef whilst cooking. In fact, (and here is the
> applicable part) raw elk marinated in lime juice, olive oil, and very
> finely chopped peppers (jalapeno or serrano, I forget which) is the
> most tender, flavorful, delightful, tasty, etc. meat I have ever had.
> I would recommend it to everyone (unless your pregnant!).

What's toxoplasmosis?  Is it the bug, or is it caused by the excretions of
the bug?  If you dip the bug in a good acidy-lemon concotion and throw in
enough of some kind of chloride, it ought to kill about any creature
that'll make you ill.  Weren't marinades invernted essentially as ways of
preserving or making meat edible when there wasn't refrigeration?

And in ye olden days, wasn't "gamey" used to describe meat that had been
allowed to tenderize by, um, hanging for a few days in the breeze?

carp