Re: [CH] question of age

Calvin Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Fri, 14 May 1999 17:31:08 -0500

Babs-
My first and third girls dislike chiles in all their form but red bells.
My second daughter, on the other hand, started getting into the salsa bowl
at about 6 months and still does!  Be cautioned, however, because I believe
they feel the burn more intensely than adults do.  Start VERY mild and let
them decide.
I am reminded of a scene I witnessed at a chile farm store in New Mexico.
They had all their chiles on display, with a sign "Parents- Please watch
your children.  Sampling can be dangerous".
I watched a boy from across the shop, probably about 4, sneak a pretty
orange fruit (yucatan Hab) and pop it in his mouth as I was yelling "Hey-
your son is....."  Too late, and the poor child screamed and cried for
about 30 minutes while they tried all sorts of remedies on him.

Just be very, very careful, and let them decide.  The first time my second
youngster got some salsa, I kept her out of it for about 5 minutes to be
sure she knew what the effect would be.  She went right back to the bowl
for more, and although she is not a chilehead, she does eat and like spicy
food.
Calvin