Re: [CH] question of age

Tom Cuneo (forsite@forsite.net)
Fri, 14 May 1999 21:45:58 -0500

At 05:31 PM 5/14/99 -0500, Calvin Donaghey wrote:
>Babs-
>My first and third girls dislike chiles in all their form but red bells.
>My second daughter, on the other hand, started getting into the salsa bowl
>at about 6 months and still does!  Be cautioned, however, because I believe
>they feel the burn more intensely than adults do.  Start VERY mild and let
>them decide.
>I am reminded of a scene I witnessed at a chile farm store in New Mexico.
>They had all their chiles on display, with a sign "Parents- Please watch
>your children.  Sampling can be dangerous".

We had a booth at the fiery foods show with Jim the elder and we have some
pretty hot habanero sauce and a even hotter savina garlic sauce, Rob and I
were manning the booth when a 5 year old girl came up and dipped a chip
into the bowl of sauce, before rob or I could stop her in a panic (and she
took a pretty good chipful)  she ate it, walked away smiling, then a few
minutes later brought her YOUNGER brother back by grabbed another chip and
handed it to him, we freaked out even more trying to stop her, He ate it,
never wimpered, never cried, Rob and I were comletely flabergasted,
freaking out and yet amazed all at the same time  .....

Tom Cuneo

Tom