Re: [CH] mulching?

Charles Demas (demas@tiac.net)
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 19:42:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Celeste or Dave Anderson wrote:

> DON'T DO IT! he shouted. Composted steer manure is scraped off of
> feed lots where they feed all kinds of stuff to cattle to make them
> gain weight quickly. While steer manure is organic, it can contain as
> much as 10% salt which is deadly to most plants.

I doubt that dehydrated cow manure purchased at a garden center is
deadly to plants, which is what he asked about.  (see the text below)

Whether it might be too strong is an entirely different question.
I don't garden, so I cannot make a recommendation, but piling it on
as mulch seems excessive, and anything excessive is likely to be
wrong.  You can over-fertilize.  Using compost is unlikely to be
harmful, and my parents houseplants love that stuff.

> The only way I would use steer manure would be to amend sandy well
> drained soil and I wouldn't plant for a year to be sure that all of
> the salt had leached out.

If using "wet" manure, you should use manure that's well rotted.  That
rotting takes a significant time.

I don't know why it's bad to use the "fresh" manure, but perhaps what
you're saying about the steer manure fresh from the animal is the answer.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

> Dave Anderson
> Tough Love Chile Co.
> http://www.powernet.net/~chilehed1
>

> > My plants have been in the ground and or containers for a few weeks now.
> > I didn't prep the soil as well as I wanted to this year. Lack of funds at
> > the time. I was thinking about mulching around the chiles with dehydrated
> > manure from the garden center. Any ideas or advice on this matter would be
> > greatly appreciated.
> > Steve

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas