[CH] Pepper Plant Hot Sauce, etc

Ed Kochanowski (egk@nettel.com)
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 10:12:23 -0700

>Date: 15 Jun 98 14:34:36 -0400
>From: Jeffrey Rose <jeffrey_rose@eri.eisai.com>
>Subject: [CH] NE Chile plants
>Has anyone tried to order sauces from Pepper Plant
(>http://www.pepperplant.com)?  I tried their online order form and
emailed them 3 times but
>never received a response.  I saw their sauces in a recent catalog so I
figure
>they must be in business.  Just curious-there are plenty of mail order
>sauces out there.

Hi Jeff,
The peppper plant sauces are one of my favorites.  They are one of the 3
central calif coast sauce companies that have good, inexpensive
sauces.   The other two being CalRey and SLO-Jerk.  I get them in the
local supermarkets when ever I go up the coast.    They are amazingly
cheap when you compare them to the nationaly marketed sauces you find
for 5-6$ per little bottle.
A big bottle of Pepper Plant sauce will set you back about $2.79 at the
Lucky Foods store in SLO or Paso Robles.
My fav PP sauce is the Hab sauce, second fav is the Garlic!  They have a
smoky, fruity, non vinegar flavor thats yummy on anything.  (try it on
french fries, lots of local resturants in the area have PP sauces).
The heat in the PP Hab sauce is there, its probably an equiv heat to the
overpriced Tabasco Hab sauce.   If you are looking for a real gut
busting, hot as hell sauce, try the SLO Jerk Xtra Hot Hab Sauce.  I made
the mistake of  smothering a burrito in it and while it was very hot
going down, it caused an honest to goodness stomach ache when it
landed.  (Of course I had to try it again on something else just to make
sure it was the sauce and not the burrito!)  I now only use the SJ Hab
sauce in small quantities.

You can get SLO Jerk, Pepper Plant and CalRey sauces in any local
grocery between King City and Santa Maria in Ca.    Also, the Mid State
Fair in Paso Robles at the beginning of August usually has a booth with
*all* the local hot sauces displayed.  (Its where I bought my first
bottle of SJO Jerk).  You can also find SLO and PP sauces in some of the
"Hot Sauce Stores (!tm)" that you find springing up in the malls these
days.   I haven't seen CalRey in the Top Dollar Hot Shops yet though.

Happy munching,
--Ed