Re: [CH] Chile-Heads Digest V4 #467

Charles Demas (demas@tiac.net)
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 20:48:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Mark Gelo wrote:

> 20% vinegar is an industrial grade acid.
>
> I havn't calculated the pH, but I don't think you would want to consume it
> without dilution.

But the idea of using it to adjust the pH of a sauce, rather than using
the usual 5% vinegar might keep the sauce from becoming more runny.

This would be essentially diluted by the water in the sauce.

In a production situation this would probably be preferable to trying to
reduce the sauce by cooking, or using additional thickening agents.

BTW, I'm just speculating here, but I do have an engineering degree, and
an active imagination.

> The stuff you get from a laboratory supply dealer is probably going to
> be higher purity than a "food grade", which is the lowest grade a
> supplier can sell to meet FDA guidelines. As with anything else, there
> is no substitute for knowledge.

Discussing your plans for the stuff with the supplier doesn't hurt either,
as they can often direct you to a better approach.  After all, they hear
what their stuff is being used for from their other customers, and serving
their customer's needs is what their business is about.  If you need
privacy, you can do some non-disclosure stuff, but unless you're working
on a completely new process (unlikely), this isn't necessary.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas