RE: [CH] What's bothering my cayenne's

Kath Hodgson (kath@kandk.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 18:56:23 +0100

A definite YES to your Ps - my husband has resorted to tying a T-shirt
around his face when either of us start adding chopped chiles to hot
oil. I've no idea why it happens but having recently got some of Dave's
insanity sauce, I notice it has a warning that it is unsuitable for
those with respiratory problems ...

Kath
-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Scott [mailto:SLS@jane-villa.demon.co.uk]
Sent: Monday, June 29, 1998 9:49 PM
To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Subject: [CH] What's bothering my cayenne's

Hi All

I'm a brand new recruit to the CH group and am currently in my first
season as a home grower.  Being prone to obsession (my wife's words, not
mine), I have decided to grow around 50 plants each of the following:

Anaheim, Scotch Bonnet, Firecracker, Cayenne, Birds Eye and Serrano.
Since the sun seldom shines consecutively for more than a few days in
Scotland, I am growing in pots in my greenhouse (yes it is a bit tight
for space!).  Problem is, the top couple of leaves on around three of my
beloved plants (now in quarantine) have started to become knarled and
wrinkled.  On closer inspection with 10x magnifying glass, I can just
make out some little white beasties amongst tiny spots of shiny sticky
liquid residue.  The little blighters are around 0.5mm long and so thin
as to defy measurement short of splitting an atom.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what they might be and how I can
murder them before they upset any more of my chile plants, I would be
extremely grateful.  Non chemical remedies would be great, but as the
plants are not yet at the flowering stage, I am ready and willing to try
almost any toxic cocktail.

Thanks in advance
Steve

PS.  Has anybody else suffered from choking fumes given off when stir
frying chile's?
--
Steve Scott
Jane Villa