Re: [CH] Spices & hot countries, pepper ID

John Benz Fentner, Jr. (jbenz@courant.infi.net)
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 15:25:05 -0400

Paul Richards wrote:

> Thing I don't understand,is why the Spanish didn't attempt to introduce
> them to Europe? Although having said that, the Spaniards grow a variety of
> mild chiles, & the Italians use chiles, the Hungarians grow Paprika. Hmm.
> So I guess what I was saying, is why didn't they get to the UK?

 The Spanish and Portuguese brought chiles back and spread them around with
their subject nations and trading partners in the 15th and 16th centuries...a
time when they weren't real popular with the Brits. (Think Armada).

Other than that, it's a lot harder to grow chiles in Northern Europe, English
culture was mostly Germanic and Scandinavian rather than Mediterranean and,
naturally, they were busy assimilating the stuff they got from their own empire

like corn (maize), turkeys and Maple Syrple. They picked up a chiles quick
enough when they got the opportunity but it was by way of their later imperial
endeavors in India and SE Asia.

JB
--
John Benz Fentner, Jr.