Re: [CH] BBQs

Rich McCormack (macknet@cts.com)
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 05:36:48 -0700

Andrew Healy wrote:

> Will be having a big BBQ for the family, at which I wish to try barbequeing
> chiles.  Does anyone have any comment as to which colour/type to char-burn

When I grill meat to thin slice and wrap in warmed flour tortillas
or soft fried corn tortillas, I grill some chiles and sliced onions
(purple onions are especially sweet and tasty when grilled) to layer
on top of the sliced meat.  Anaheims can be grilled whole, halved or
sliced into thick strips lengthwise.  Jalapenos (big ones so they
don't slip thru the grill and into the coals) can be grilled whole
and then served whole or sliced to suit once off the grill.  Poblanos
are good, but because of the shape and size I usually slice 'em into
rings about 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick.  If I don't have any ripe red
chiles available to grill (usually limited to late in the season)
for some color contrast, I slice red and yellow bells into rings
and add them to the mix.  I like my grilled chiles kinda crisp, so
I throw 'em on a hot grill, sear in the grill marks (turning once)
and then put 'em on the BBQ's top rack or some other place to keep
warm without cooking too much more.  To keep 'em from sticking on
the hot grill, I sometimes spray 'em with chile oil (my wife bought
me a hand pumped cooking oil sprayer that works great) or brush on
some melted chile butter.

FWIW, various perforated grill goodies are available for grilling
smaller chiles that might fall thru the grill and into the coals.
A piece of expanded metal lath (non-toxic) should serve the purpose
as well.  Where there's a will, there's a way.

BTW, I don't char 'em to peel 'em, I eat 'em grilled skin and all...

Mmmmm, mmmm...gettin' hungry.

--
Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@cts.com

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at...