Re: [CH] tracking recipes

Rich McCormack (macknet@cts.com)
Fri, 07 Aug 1998 08:12:08 -0700

Renae wrote:

> >  I didn't keep track of all that when into the mix and have
> >never been able to reproduce it to my satisfaction.
> >
> >- --
> >Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@cts.com
> >

> Used to happen to me all the time.  Now I write down ingredients when
> making something unusual...

My wife tried to solve the "problem" by buying me a small voice
activated tape recorder.  The idea was that while whipping up one
of my "recipeless" concoctions, I'd keep up a vocal commentary of
what I was doing and we'd have a record on cassette tape of what I'd
done.  At some point, though, I'd always end up getting into the
spirit of culinary creation, stop commenting and lose track of both
what I'd done and whether I'd mentioned whatever it was I'd done.
So much for that idea.

The general joke around here when something I make turns out
especially good is, "That was pretty damn good stuff...to bad
we'll never have it again."  Oh, well...

> ...Husband and I have also taken to marking up our
> cookbooks each time we try a new recipe. Note any changes you made to the
> recipe. Note whether you liked it or not - and what it was you want to
> change if you are going to try it again but with alterations.  We even note
> the date we first tried the recipe.

I rarely use cookbooks or recipes.  My wife is not only a cookbook
collector but a relentless cookbook editor via penciled in comments
to correct the "mistakes" of the original author.

--
Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@cts.com

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at...
http://members.cts.com/crash/m/macknet/