Re: [CH] Red Savina seeds

Steve (snearman@erols.com)
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 01:41:22 -0400

>>Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 20:39:16 -0500
From: "Frank J. Hashek" <pepperking@mindspring.com>
Subject: [CH] Red Savina seeds

The Red Savina is, as I understand it, a natural mutation discovered by the
GNS people.  As I understand the situation, GNS kept reproducing the Red
Savina until they had commercial quantities of seed and still are the sole
producer of it.

It is supposed to produce true to type seed if you protect it from cross
pollination.<<

The seed planted were from Shepherd. Any cross pollination in my garden
would not have caused this difference in the plants or fruit, only what the
next generation of seed from the plant would produce.  Cross pollination
never effects the plant or fruit only the seeds.

I don't see how anyone could get the "sole rights" to seeds that do not
have a true germplasm or is not a true hybrid. There would not be any way
to win a law suit when what is produced from the "Red Savina" P.V.P. seed
is no different than other habs.

My advice is to skip the "Red Savina" P.V.P and all its "praise".  Stick
with hab seeds you know will produce true fruit!

Steve