Re: [CH] Red Savina seeds

Steve (snearman@erols.com)
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 10:42:36 -0400

-----
>>From: Jim Campbell <jim@wildpepper.com>
Subject: Re: [CH] Red Savina seeds

The Red Savinas(tm) I've planted the last four years now only had
variation the first year when I bought through a seed catalog.  Since
that period of time I've planted well over 60,000 total and ran a
non-standard rate of maybe 1% or less.  That first year though I did
have some yellows, orange, greens, and purples.  None since then.  I
have bought my seed direct from GNS Inc, the last few years though.<<
------
That may be the answer to this problem. Shepherd's may be sitting on a big
batch of seed from the first generation and only selling a few each year.
Went back and checked the package and there is no date stamp ("packaged for
19...").  Others who bought seed from GNS are getting seed that have the
"kinks" worked out.

I do have 3-4 plants out of 20 that are producing like Jim's, 4 ft. tall by
3 ft. across at the top and some large (a little smaller than a tennis
ball) to med. size fruit. If this could be consistently repeated year after
year It would be the only hab I would plant! I have picked about 15-18
pounds from the 20 plants so far and the harvest is just starting. Some
plants are bend down from the weight of the fruit or have broken off
branches because of wind damage.

I will report this problem to Shepherd Seed Co. and GNS and post back with
the results.

The rest of the "pepper forest" is doing great. One mamzano is starting to
ripen. This is a few weeks earlier than normal. Collected about 2 pounds of
piquins, may only 30% of first flowering (only took 1.5 hours). First
flowering of pullas 90% harvested and dried. Harvested about 50 pounds of
"Spanish Spice"  (8"X 2" deep red, thick flesh, sweet) a package I picked
up at Lowes for 25 cents. I don't taste any heat but the children say it
has a little. Another first for me this year is Bulgarian Carrot. Nice heat
and flavor, good size with thick flesh. Only thing I don't like is the
heavy seed core. The rest is about a normal harvest to date except for the
Jalapeņos. They are late and not as plentiful. The seed was from Shepherd
and was advertised as having larger fruit.  I think others have posted
problems with Jalapeņos this year too. We had a verrrry wet and cool spring
this year that set back most all the plants in the "forest". I think the
Jalapeņos never fully recovered, they seem stunted in overall size.

Steve