Re: [CH] Caterinas, Cascobel, Manzano & Moritas

David Cook (zebcook@pacbell.net)
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 23:48:14 -0700

Robert Bush wrote:

> Hi all.
> The subject title sounds like a poem but are the names of chiles I
> found
> (dried, except the Manzano) when I worked in Calpulalpan, Tlax. in
> Mexico
> last year. At the local market they also had the more common ones
> (Guajillo, Pasilla, Habanero, Chipotle, Ancho etc) but the C,C, M & M
> hadn't heard of before or seen mentioned on anyones homepage. Maybe I
> havn't searched hard enough.
> Anyway, does anyone know of their origin, strenght and such?

Don't know about the caterinas, but I'm familiar with the others.
Cascabels are a ball-shaped chile that kind of looks like a jingle bell
when dried -- darkish red, can't remember what the flavors like exactly.
Manzano is also called peron. I thought I was told one time they were
more common in the Mexico City area and not up north (but I'm not sure
about that). Usually I can find them fresh at the local grocery store.
It's one of my favorites -- about golf ball-sized, yellow to
yellow-orange, apple shaped with thick, juicy walls. Very hot and
fruity. I have never seen it dried and don't think it can be dried with
any success (it really is plump compared to most chiles). Moritas are
high grade chipotles -- darker in color, smaller (I think), and with
more sweetness to them. I just bought some from The Spice House in
Milwaukee (thespicehouse.com -- make sure you get it right or you'll end
up at some interesting locations!). One good reason to go to Milwaukee
every year (along with the beer and Usinger's bratwurst).

Hope this helps a little.

David Cook