Re: Re: [CH] Caterinas, Cascobel, Manzano & Moritas

Robert Bush (bush@shbf.se)
Sat, 15 Aug 1998 16:29:23 +0200

>Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 23:48:14 -0700
>From: David Cook <zebcook@pacbell.net>
>Subject: Re: [CH] Caterinas, Cascobel, Manzano & Moritas
>
>Robert Bush wrote:
>
>> Hi all.
>> The subject title sounds like a poem but are the names of chiles I
>> found
>> (dried, except the Manzano) when I worked in Calpulalpan, Tlax. in
>> Mexico
>> last year. At the local market they also had the more common ones
>> (Guajillo, Pasilla, Habanero, Chipotle, Ancho etc) but the C,C, M & M
>> hadn't heard of before or seen mentioned on anyones homepage. Maybe I
>> havn't searched hard enough.
>> Anyway, does anyone know of their origin, strenght and such?
>
>Don't know about the caterinas, but I'm familiar with the others.
>Cascabels are a ball-shaped chile that kind of looks like a jingle bell
>when dried -- darkish red, can't remember what the flavors like exactly.
>Manzano is also called peron. I thought I was told one time they were
>more common in the Mexico City area and not up north (but I'm not sure
>about that). Usually I can find them fresh at the local grocery store.
>It's one of my favorites -- about golf ball-sized, yellow to
>yellow-orange, apple shaped with thick, juicy walls. Very hot and
>fruity. I have never seen it dried and don't think it can be dried with
>any success (it really is plump compared to most chiles). Moritas are
>high grade chipotles -- darker in color, smaller (I think), and with
>more sweetness to them. I just bought some from The Spice House in
>Milwaukee (thespicehouse.com -- make sure you get it right or you'll end
>up at some interesting locations!). One good reason to go to Milwaukee
>every year (along with the beer and Usinger's bratwurst).
>
>Hope this helps a little.
>
>David Cook

Thanks David,
the Manzanos were found only 800 kms from Mexico City and I agree - they're
really tasty!
I would never have guessed that the Moritas have any similarity to
Chipotles. Mine are missing that smoked aroma/taste and are not as wrinkled
as the Chipotles. Maybe the woman at the market gave me something else.
As for the Caterinas, I've been helped by other people. Thanks all.

Robert Bush