Re: [CH] Why Dry?

Donald R Jordan (drjordan@rocketmail.com)
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 12:25:03 -0700 (PDT)

IMHO, drying is more a preparation than preservation, at least in
modern times.  Freezing will probably better preserve the fresh nature
of the chile, while drying and/or smoking creates an entirely new
entity.  The chipotle is a dried/smoked jalapeno, though they bear no
resemblance in appearance or flavor.  Dried chiles are (obviously)
easier to crush or powder; it would be hard to create a "bowl of red"
without powdered chile!  And what would a southwest Christmas be
without a ristra on the door?

Anybody else going to the show in Austin the weekend?

-DrJ-
Helotes, Texas
PGP Public Key at:
http://pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x01BC316C