Re: [CH] Seed starter Dirt

casey marion (caseymarion@mindspring.com)
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 08:54:10 -0400

I'm not an authority and I can only relate my own experiences, so here
goes:
In February 1998-
I started my seeds in a generic seed starter purchased from Lowe's;
damped it up and put it in one of those multi-section seed starter kits
with the plastic hood.
At the recommendation of list members I put this on top of my
refrigerator [produces some heat, speeding germination].
They sat on the 'fridge for about 1.5 months before sprouting!  I kept
the sprouts in the same container on a window ledge for until late April
[they were pitiful looking].
I then bought 6 clay pots [about 2 quarts] and transplanted the
strongest looking sprouts.  I used a "medium" density soil.
In late June, the weather was nice enough to leave them out 24 hrs/day.
Two weeks of the sun and fresh air and these little devils shot up [all
of them, habs, devil peppers (that's what I call them, small <1 in., and
roundish)., jalepenos, and Thai (I think- 1 in" long and skinny).
	I didn't think they would ever fruyit, but by late July/early August,
the flowers turned to pods.  The long skinny peppers ripened pretty
quick/ the habs are just now turning a beautiful orange.
Hope this helps
Casey