Re: [CH] More thoughts on C. pubescens fruit setting

Michael Bailes (frgntgar@ozemail.com.au)
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 16:55:05 +1000

At 2:07 PM +1000 25/8/98, Lynn Edwards wrote:
>Cameron Begg wrote about Rocotos taking months to set fruit:
>
>> So what is different in the middle of August? I have been watching the
>> plant very carefully for clues and have come up with a rather obvious
>> answer. I noticed a brown hornet (one of the type that constructs hanging
>> clay nests for it's young) very systematically foraging in the flowers;
>> presumably for traces of nectar. Further studies revealed an irridescent
>> green fly about 0.3" long doing the same thing. Any entomologists on the
>> list?

Mine have set fruit and hase big green apples on it now (an almost 2 year
old plant.)
Spring starts for us in a week or two. We have had a very cold (7C) very
very wet winter.

Michael Bailes.
Herbarist
The Fragrant Garden, Portsmouth Road, Erina. N.S.W. 2250 Australia. (OZ)
International fax 61 243 651979          Phone 61 243 677322
Bookshop, nursery, media, school, garden, medical herbalist, cafe, herbal
products, gift gallery, insanity. EMAIL: frgntgar@ozemail.com.au
  	Web page at: http://www.fragrantgarden.com.au/

"Poor man, he just stands and stares at a yellow flower for minutes at a
time.
He would be far better off with something to do."
Charles Darwin's Gardener