Re: [CH] Firecracker-Indoor fun with plants

casey marion (caseymarion@mindspring.com)
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 14:33:02 -0400

Hi guys,

A mix of high pressure sodium lighting and metal halide lamps will
provide the best light for indoor grow conditions.
If you can't get both now, they will work well independantly.
Metal Halide emits a full-spectrum light. Plants under metal halide
look/grow as they would outdoors.
High-Pressure-Sodium emits a heavy red-orange spectrum.  This spectrum
increases fruiting and flowering.

A timer hooked up to the light ballasts can help the plants get a fixed
amount of light per day.  Increasing or cutting back on light during
certain periods of growth causes funny things, like greater fruit
yields, or larger and heavier foilage.

These lamps get pretty hot, so a box fan should stay on the plants when
the lamps are on.  It's also a good idea to get a negative-ion generator
to disperse the nasties in the air.  Most plants hate cigarette smoke,
etc.

I'll find out specifics later but a friend of mine mixed up a yeast
concoction in a big bucket;  the top is sealed except for a hose from
the bucket top that protrudes down to where the plants live.  It gives
off some magic-voodoo air that green things love.

I'm not sure of the optimum, but humidity should not be allowed to get
too high for obvious reasons.   Cheap de-humidifiers can be had for
under US $100.00.

Small lamps can be had for under US $200.00, I believe.  But, bigger is
better, and you don't want to cram 10 adult plants under a small lamp.
If you can only afford one light, it's a good idea to check and see that
your lamp/ballast combo will support the opposite light.

Also, building a box-type area around the growing area and lining it
with mylar is a good way to ensure the plants get max light in all
areas.
If I think of anything else, I'll post again.
Good Luck!