Re: [CH] Chili Up!

Peter Moss (pmoss@yoda.alt.za)
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 22:23:54 RSA-2

Since this mail to Michael bounced I'll send it to the list.

From:           Peter Moss <pmoss@yoda.alt.za>
To:             Michael  Bailes <frgntgar@ozemail.com.au>
Date sent:      Tue, 8 Sep 1998 23:03:23 RSA-2
Subject:        Re: [CH] Chili Up!

Hi Michael

On  7 Sep 98 at 16:42, Michael  Bailes wrote:

> I don't understand waht you are saying Peter

C. annuum is a species.  Cayenne is a variety.

C. annuum cv. Jalapeno

Now in C. annuum and almost every other species except C.
pubescens there is an erect growing variety.  C. annuum var.
glabriusculum as an example.  This one is the birds eye.  C.
frutescens cv. tabasco is another and finally C. baccatum var.
baccatum, the bird aji.

Where "var" indicates a wild variety and "cv" a cultivated
variety.

Checking my home PCGrin, search erect growth fruitpos, I found
328 accessions in the data base.  I am not going to post the
list as most refer to a USDA number and are not tied to a common
name, although it is possible to extract it, if available.

It is possible to download the database and PCGrin program.  It
is not a windows program ;-) and requires some getting used to.
There are no pictures.

Regards
Peter

And I'll add http://www.ars-grin.gov/

Find the capcicum database and use the online search
family : solanceae
genus : capsicum
species : a search refinement if required "annuum" for example.

It is possible to search on any of the cataloged fields
"fruitpos" is just one of them.  View the records of one example
to see what fields are available.  Also requires getting used
to.  Sorry if there are any errors it is some time since I last
used the online version.

--
Peter Moss

After one hundred and fifty years and many thousands of firearms
control laws to reduce crime the list of successes should be
long and illustrious.  Where is the list?