Re: [CH] Shiso (chiso)?

Michael Bailes (frgntgar@ozemail.com.au)
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 15:48:52 +1000

At 8:34 AM +1000 9/9/98, A.Paysinger wrote:
>This may be Shiso.
>a very easy plant to grow, in fact, although it is an annual, it reseeds
>itself vigorously and will come up year after year.   I grow both the
>green and red (sort of purple, actually)  and both are delicious.
Anyone got any receipies or uses for it.
I know it is agood remedy for gout but I don't know how to cook with it
Them (The green and red)
(Perilla or Chiso  (Perilla frutescens) is a Japanese herb often found in
Japanese pickles. It is an easy to grow annual herb that looks a little
like Basil. James Duke in his "Handbook of Edible Weeds" says that Japanese
researchers have found a powerful anti-gout chemical in the leaves of
Perilla.  If you suffer from gout it might be worth including some Perilla
in your diet.)

Michael Bailes.
Herbarist
The Fragrant Garden, Portsmouth Road, Erina. N.S.W. 2250 Australia. (OZ)
International fax 61 243 651979          Phone 61 243 677322
Bookshop, nursery, media, school, garden, medical herbalist, cafe, herbal
products, gift gallery, insanity. EMAIL: frgntgar@ozemail.com.au
  	Web page at: http://www.fragrantgarden.com.au/
"The wisest man I ever knew taught me something I never forgot.
 And, though I never forgot it, I never quite memorized it either.
 So what I'm left with is the memory of having learned something very wise
that I can't quite remember"
 - George Carlin