[CH] RE: the cheapie dehydrator/ UL vs. ETL

Parkhurst, Scott Contractor (PARKHURS@LEAV-EMH1.ARMY.MIL)
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 06:09:00 -0500

>From: Bloechl, Sharen Rund
>The following's a comment from someone at UL. . .
>
>"ETL is UL's competitor.  Actually I think they're doing business as
>Inchcape or Intertek now.  Some local jurisdictions require UL Listed
>products and won't accept ETL products.  Generally speaking, ETL evaluates
>products to UL standards or the standards of some other organization-but
>ETL's evaluation is not as thorough as UL's.  I always look for the UL mark

Thanx for the info!  I too like to see the UL label on electric appliances
that run for extended periods.  I *did* check out the construction of the
cheapie.  It isn't flimsy, has adequate clearance/support of the heating
element, no frayed/loose electrical connections, etc.  Still, I made sure to
be around while it was plugged in (no on/off switch).  Thanx again.

Scott... KCK