Re: [CH] RE:botulism

Charles Demas (demas@tiac.net)
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 13:26:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Kit Anderson wrote:

> Chuck Demas wrote;
>
> > Boiling water temperatures will not destroy the spores.  It takes higher
> > temperatures for some time to kill the spores.
>
> 240F for 10 minutes.
>
> > Below a certain pH, the botulism spores do not grow.
>
> 4.3 pH
>
> > Commercial packers use a combination of techniques to insure safety.
>
> Presevatives.

I thought pH of 4.6 was the level, but better safe than sorry.

I didn't want to state the levels because I was worried about someone
trying it and screwing up.  I've published links to pages that
stated the levels before, FWIW, but I'm still not willing to do these
things (packing in oil) myself.  YMMV.  :-)

Botulism Links:

Clostridium botulinum
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap2.html

FDA/CFSAN Bad Bug Book - Clostridium botulinum
http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap2.html

Bacterial Spoilage (Botulism and others)
http://www.chasedata.com/storage/bacteria.html

IV. Spoilage, Especially Botulism (part 8)
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/1962/rff8.html#SPL

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas