[CH] Re:Digest V5 #52 Fermented chile sauces

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 14:51:55 -0500

Hi C-H's,
Peter Gaffney wrote:

>anyone have a complete recipe?

Yes. Add 15-20% by weight of salt (sodium chloride) to chopped up tabasco
peppers and ferment for a few years. I started some at the weekend and will
report on progress.

>what about vinegar? it's the main ingredient in Tabasco.

Salt tolerant yeasts ferment the sugars in the peppers to ethanol, which in
turn is oxidised to acetic acid (vinegar).

>what about pesticides (if one's not supposed to wash the chiles)?

Don't use them.

>is there a recommended yeast/bacterium mix for inoculation (if one
>does wash the pods)?

I doubt it. You could try leaving the peppers exposed to outside air for a
few days. They might pick up some wild yeasts.

                     Regards,               Cameron.