Re: [CH] roasted jalapenos

John Benz Fentner, Jr. (jbenz@courant.infi.net)
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 21:51:40 -0400

Mary Lu wrote:

> I used to be able to get jars of Mancini Roasted Jalapenos around here.
> Now I can't find them anywhere.  I can find Mancini brand Roasted Red
> Peppers, but those are just the sweet ones.  Does anyone have a source for
> Roasted Jals or other roasted hot peppers?  I've tried to do my own, but
> they just don't seem to come out as good.  I know there are a few
> chile-heads here in Springfield, Illinois so if you know of a place here in
> town all the better.  Any good mail order places will have to work if not.

Speaking of the Mancini sweet peppers: I always liked those, 'specially
on cheeseburgers. They aren't hot but that's easy enuf to fix with a
little hab powder or, better yet, you can saute' them along with the
burgers in a little hot chile oil. (Or a lot of hot chile oil if you
like the tear gas effect).

The interesting thing about them is that they freze very well. We buy
the big quart cans at Costco and break 'em up into ice cube tray
portions which is just about enuf for one burger. Pop a couple of those
in the nuker for 30 seconds and the toss 'em in on top of the burgers to
finish heating up.  Yummy and leaves real interesting stains on your
T-Shirt too. :)

JB
--
John Benz Fentner, Jr.