Re: [CH] peanut brittle

Walt Gray (waltgray@mnsinc.com)
Thu, 08 Oct 1998 10:32:41 -0400

T wrote:

> I want to make up a batch of habanero-peanut-brittle, but the recipe I have
> calls for corn syrup, which I'm currently out of and, living in Switzerland,
> isn't easy to find.

> Does anyone a) have a peanut brittle recipe that doesn't use corn syrup
>                     b) know how to make corn syrup, or a substitute ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

Hi Tom,
Here is a substitute for light corn syrup.

light corn syrup = light Karo syrup  (1C = 8 ounces) Substitutes: boil together
4 or
     5 parts sugar + 1 part water until it forms a syrup OR honey

> P.S.  I use a teaspoon or so of homemade hab powder added when I add the
> nuts.  The resulting candy has a delayed action, both in terms of heat and
> flavor.  At first it tastes normal, after a few seconds the hab taste kicks
> in, and after 10 or 15 seconds the hab heat.  Quite amusing to try on the
> unsuspecting and watch their reactions.

Can't go along with your amusing sense of humor.  It in my opinion better to
warn people what they are getting into, better way to maintain a good
friendship.

--
   Walt Gray --- Alexandria, Virginia
   AIM Captain113