[CH] Re: [CHV5 #76 pepper fermentation

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 08:09:18 -0500

Hi C-H's,
Gregory wrote:
>I recently learned about the process used in the making of sauerkraut.  A
>process in which micro-organisms are selectively culled by the use of salt
>addition, deprivation of oxygen, monitoring of temperature, and lowering of
>pH.  Would a similar process work with peppers?  What would happen if I
>shredde some habeneros, mixed with salt, and sealed it all in a crock?
>Does anybody have any recipes like this?

As I indicated recently, the fermentation of chile peppers is accomplished
by naturally occurring salt tolerant yeasts. The salt content must be high
enough to prevent spoilage and low enough for the yeast to grow. This puts
the salt content at 15-20% of the weight of the peppers. Do not seal
tightly. Use an airlock. Exclude light.

                     Regards,               Cameron.