Re: [CH] Re: [CHV5 #76 pepper fermentation

Tony Lill (ajlill@ajlc.waterloo.on.ca)
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 00:25:57 GMT

    Rob> Kristoffer is absolutely right on the yeast thing, as a wine
    Rob> maker too I can verify that letting the wild east doing the
    Rob> job will normally not give the result your looking for.

Well, we're not making wine! Now, I bake sourdough, which I imagine is
somewhat more germane to the subject of sauerkraut. Sourdough starters
use the wild yeast and lacto-bacilli that occur in the flour that you
use and in your environment. They maintain a symbiotic relationship
that prevents the growth of anything nasty. You have to try pretty
hard to spoil a starter.

When making wine, you generally want to avoid that sour taste, so you
need to kill of anything that produces acid. So you use the sulfur
stuff, or cook your grapes, or use concentrates. If you use wild
yeast, it may taste like shit, but it won't harm you if it's
built up enough alcohol or acid.

With sauerkraut, you're not really interested in alcohol, so you add
salt, which preferentially hinders the yeast growth, allowing the
bacteria to make it sour.
--
Tony Lill,                         Tony.Lill@AJLC.Waterloo.ON.CA
President, A. J. Lill Consultants        fax/data (519) 650 3571