Re: [CH] Key Lime Pie

R. Solarion (galaxy37@1starnet.com)
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 22:33:26 -0600

>Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 11:17:13 -0700
>From: Tantrika <hummer13@earthlink.net>
>Subject: [CH] Key Lime Pie
>
>I know this is totally off base but there are a lot of phenomenal cooks on
>this list and it seems to me a key lime (REAL KEY LIME) would be the
>perfect desert for a spicy dish...
>
>anyone have one?

*

Tantrika, as a matter of fact I do, and I highly recommend it to everyone.
Key Lime Pie (with espresso coffee) is the perfect ending to any meal,
spicy or not.

ROBERTO'S KEY LIME PIE

Ingredients

9-inch store-bought graham-cracker piecrust (or make your own)
14-ounce can of Borden's EagleBrand sweetened condensed milk
4 eggyolks
4 ounces of key lime juice (about 12 key limes, but substitute regular limes)
8 ounces of chilled whipping cream
green and yellow food colorings (optional, but nice!)

Procedure

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, put the sweetened condensed milk and
eggyolks.  Stir with a spoon to mix.  Then stir in the key lime juice and
one drop of the green food coloring.  Stir again, and then beat the mixture
with an eggbeater until it is thoroughly blended.  Pour it into the
graham-cracker piecrust.

Now add two drops of green and four drops of yellow food coloring to the
cold whipping cream, and whip until it is super-thick.  Smooth the whipped
cream onto the key lime mixture, cover tightly with a pie container or
aluminum foil, and refrigerate for 2-3 days before serving.  Serve it
ice-cold.  8 Servings.

If you want to make your own graham-cracker crust from scratch, and it is
always better that way, try this.  Mix together 2 cups of crushed graham
crackers with 1/2 cup of melted unsalted butter, 2 tablespoons of light
brown sugar and a dash of vanilla flavoring.  Mix well, and press the
mixture around the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate.  Bake at 350
degrees for about 5 minutes, just enough to "set" it.  Then place it on a
rack to cool before filling it with the key lime mixture.

You can make a "lemon icebox pie" using this same recipe, but substituting
lemon juice for the lime juice.

ENJOY!  YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!  ROBERTO.