Re: [CH] cornbread - buttermilk substitute?

Tony Flynn (flynnt@ellconweb.net.nz)
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 20:05:55 +1300

Steve Taylor wrote:

> Help, can anyone recomend an alternative to buttermilk.  I have been
> having a hel of a lot of trouble finding it here in New Zealand.
>
> Thanks in advance   -Steve

> ADDRESS:  Steve Taylor   -   Producer   -   Terabyte Interactive
> COURIER:  Level 6, 235 Broadway, Newmarket, Auckland, New Zealand
> MAIL:     PO Box 99250, Newmarket, Auckland, New Zealand
> TEL:   + 64 9 522 0914         EMAIL 1:  stevet@terabyte.co.nz
> FAX:   + 64 9 522 0925         EMAIL 2:  74757.3344@compuserve.com
> CELL:  + 64 21 782 808         URL:      www.terabyte.co.nz

Hi Steve

A very simple subsitute for Buttermilk Which I use all the time is:

Put 1 tablespoon of vinegar (I normally use white) or lemon juice in a
cup. Fill with milk. DO NOT STIR. After 5 minutes the milk will be sour
which is a good substitute for Buttermilk.

I use this for all sorts of recipies that call for Buttermilk. Scones,
cakes ect.

Tony Flynn

PS Most Supermarkets in NZ stock Buttermilk but it is expensive
About $3 per litre.