Re: [CH] Skillet Cajun Shrimp

Inagaddadavida (rael@ebicom.net)
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 06:01:47 -0500

At 04:12 AM 10/19/98 -0400, Porter Banister wrote:
>what this recipe means by Cajun Spice Mix. Are they talking about some  type
>of product other than the salt-laden variety that I have? I do not worry
>about too much salt intake, I just worry that the dish would be ruined by
>that much salt. What do any of you professional and/or Cajun/Creole chefs on

Well, it depends on how "shrimpy" the shrimp are <g>....that's my biggest
moan 'bout seafood since I ain't on the coast physically..."fresh" rarely
means fresh...and the salt may kill some of the nasty taste...

Yet, I try to not use much salt per se since there's better "salty"
ingredients such as soy sauce...but I digress.  Try this for a general
seasoning...make some up and keep it around:

1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoong black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt (or sub soy s.)
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (sub as desired..fresh/dried)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary (or less...not a big fan of rosemary unless
it's fresh)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

The above is verbatim from P. Prudhomme's Barbecued Shrimp recipe which
I've cooked many, many times (use it in one restaurant) and it's damn
good...adjust as desired tho, o' course...and add the seasoning as
desired...the above is an amount designed for 2 servings (abt. 1#
shrimp)...which for Prudhomme is typically a *large* serving...

>the list think? And also, does anyone think I should substitute fresh chiles
>for the dried flakes called for? If so, what might work best with the cream
>and the dark beer?

Use dried, fresh, combo, whatever...chiles be good regardless of their
form, mon.  But to be honest, I think the cream is gonna be weird...but I'm
not too keen on cream and seafood in any form...

Peace, Hendrix, and Chiles.......

Rael
Rael64
Mississippi Redneck