[CH] Re: CH:More Hab Sauces in Oz

Chilli King (lmason@peg.apc.org)
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 20:35:25 +1000

Tony Davidson wrote:

> > Aussie CHs might like to check out their Coles Supermarkets.
> > After the discovery of "XXX Habanero Sauce" (from the Desert Pepper
> > Trading Co.) in Target, I though I would check out the local Coles
> > Supermarket to see if they had jumped on the hot sauce bandwagon.  My
> > search paid off with the discovery of "D L Jardine's Blazin' Saddle
> > Habanero Suace"
>
> I tried the Desert Pepper XXX - can't say I was overly impressed by the flavour
> (or for that matter the heat level) - wasn't really something I'd like to put on my
> steak or eggs (I like a good sauce added to a nice char grilled steak).
>
> What's the Blazin' Saddle sauce like?  The local coles (here in Richmond
> NSW) has a hab sauce listed but specifically mentions on the side that it's mild
> (hence didn't want to spend the $4 just to test it).

The Blazin Saddle sauce has exactly the same taste and heat as the XXX, not much, to be
blunt. The flavour is OK but its certainly not going to blow you away with heat. Ive
got some Daves Insanity on the way for that. But on the plus, its got a cool name to
add to the sauce collection.

> > great to see these sauces starting to appear.  They were also selling
> > fresh Habs for $7.99 Kg, they all looked about 3 weeks old though.
>
> Can't say we've had any habs here - I'm a bit surprised you've found some
> given the what the season is - wonder if they've been chilled and stored? The
> price seems very reasonable though - I don't normally see any hot chilli's down

As for the Habs, well like I said they looked a bit old and had it, and as I recall
they were labelled as Jalapenos ?, pity there were no store attendants around or I
would have set them straight.

See Ya

Lee