Re: [CH] Freezing Habs, ETC.

Calvin Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Mon, 06 Mar 2000 20:11:04 -0600

Tom, et al,
Another good way to freeze any kind of fresh peppers is to chop 'em up or process
'em into a coarse mash in the old blender.  Freeze in small baggies in useful
quantities. When you want a little extra kick in a dish but are short on fresh
peppers, take out a baggie and add the frozen goodies.  I do this with all kinds
of peppers (including red bells, but I seed and chop them).  Label with marker as
to ingredients and date.  This is especially useful when I go to the produce
supplier in Dallas and find a case of red bells, manzanos, Habs, etc. at the
right price.  They last a long time in the freezer and take up much less room
chopped or processed.
On a related note, when I cook chili for the family, I set up one extra big pan
next to my cook pot.  I get enough veggies for two batches, and add the extra
portion to the pan.  As I sample and add stuff (never have made it exactly the
same way twice), I add the same amount to the "extra" pan.  I may spend several
hours adding chopped peppers, spices and things. When the chili is finished the
way I want it, I have a nearly complete second batch ready to freeze (large
freezer bag) for the next time my lovely wife wants chili but I don't have time
to tinker with it.  I just write on the bag "Chili fixins- add 3 lbs meat, water
& canned goods". (Canned goods include rotel, black olives, Colgin's, tomato
soup, several sauces, kidney beans, etc.) Ready in about an hour, and practically
anyone who can stir the pot can finish it, with a little coaching.  We entertain
a lot of school kids in our home and it comes in handy to have some stuff "nearly
ready".  I can't tell the difference in the veggies after cooking, so apparently
freezing onions, tomatoes, garlic, celery etc. is not harmful.  It does take up
some freezer space, though.  I have never left a batch frozen for more than 5
months, but it was fine up to that point.
Calvin