Re: [CH] New Growers

Byron Bromley (Byron.Bromley@gsd-co.com)
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:16:01 -0500

> Of course, you could forget using commercial fertilizers and make
> compost.
>
> Byron, commercial fertilizers create an inability for the plant to take
> up natural nutrients from the soil.

Robert

True to an extent.

Commercial fertilizers applied at the rate suggested by Miricale gro/ Peters
etc will lead to a salt build up. With peppers 1 time at transplant and 1
time at first fruit set is no where near those recommendations, Also by
using a lower NPK ratio also helps.

I believe in compost and composted manures in the garden are the best even
for annuals . BUT new growers have not been growing long enough to
accumilate compost. They need some help for the first couple years while
getting new patches going. Even with large amount of compost it will take a
couple years to get everything cooking normaly.

My personal commercial fertilizer is limited to seed starting only. Because
I start my seed in the house I use a 10% seed starter 4-12-4  or 3-12-4
to get my soil slightly acidic and a 1 time feeding at the 4th true leaf
stage. Fish emulsion draws cats and compost/manure inside draws fungus
gnats.

Byron