Re: [CH] seedling transplant

Steve Nearman (chiles@flash.net)
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 15:02:43 -0500

From: "Byron Bromley" <Byron.Bromley@gsd-co.com>

>I transplant mine as soon as they break the soil into deep pots.
>
>Here is why
>
>I start mine in speed trays, These trays are only 1 1/2 in deep. Cayannes
>and Thai's roots (and most of the others I grow) are down through the drain
>holes before the tops are errect. If I break off that tap root the plant
>does very poorly. Not worth the garden space.

If that is your only reason, save yourself some time by starting them in larger
pots right from the beginning. Transplanting so small a sedling is very
difficult to do without damaging the roots and seed leaves not to mention time
consuming.

Steve

          *       Uncle Steve's HOT Stuff       *
          *  Anything & Everything about Chiles *