[CH] Off-topic. . Brits. . .Bangers?

Jim Weller (Jim.Weller@salata.com)
09 Apr 00 08:22:36 -0800

 -=> Quoting Signe Shivers to All <=-

 SS> ok any Brits out there . . .I want a recipe for making my own
 SS> bangers.

These don't traditional have any chilies in them but.....

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: English Bangers
 Categories: Sausage, Pork, British
      Yield: 4 pounds

           Seasoning:
      5 ts Ground white pepper
  2 1/2 ts Mace
  2 1/4 ts Salt
      2 ts Ground ginger
      2 ts Rubbed sage
    1/2 ts Nutmeg
           Sausage:
  2 1/2 lb Boneless lean pork shoulder
           -or loin cut in cubes or
           -stripes
      1 lb Fresh pork fat cut in cubes
           -or strips
  1 1/2 c  Dry bread crumbs
  1 1/4 c  Chicken broth
  3 1/2 ts Banger seasoning

  Grind pork and fat together using fine hole disc of meat grinder. Add
  Banger Seasoning. Mix well. Grind again. Force mixture into casings
  and tie in 4-5 inch lengths.

  This mixture will be too fine to form into patties. Bake or saute.

  Taken from: Sunset Magazine

  Other recipes include thyme, cloves and as much as 1/4 tsp (gasp!)
  cayenne. Jim Weller

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Proper Scottish Bangers
 Categories: Info, British, Sausage
      Yield: 1 text file

           Bangers

  I would not grill Bangers since their flavor and texture are so
  delicate. I get Saag's brand bangers and they are absolutely fabulous.

  A Scotsman taught me to cook them. I don't know if this is the right
  way, but they sure are yummy.

  Cut the sausages apart (mine come in a string of links) and put in
  large oven proof frying pan (I use cast iron). Steam in a bit of
  water, covered, for about 10-15 minutes. Have your oven preheated to
  375 degrees. When the water has dissipated, uncover the pan and put in
  oven on the second to the highest rack.

  Brown the bangers evenly, shaking the pan periodically to keep them
  from sticking. When the first one "bangs" they are done.

  You should have a banger that has a even brown color, the skin should
  give some resistance, and the inside should be sweet and moist. Serve
  with mashed potatoes, brown gravy, baby peas and pickled onions. Food
  fit for the gods.

  Color My Sky, Ellen http://www.x-kites.com
  From: "The Ranger" Cuhulain__98@yahoo.C

MMMMM