[CH] Storing in oil: (was allergic to wheat/pasta)

Andrew & Trish Hood (hood2@iprimus.com.au)
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 23:55:10 +0930

Many thanks to all those that have replied to this posting both on and off
list.  All of the suggestions have been helpful and I will be trying them as
soon as I get the chance.  I have tried some of the rice pasta products but
I find that they tend to cook in a similar manner to normal rice and get
very "gluggy" or sticky even when cooked correctly.  I may be a bit
perfectionist but it took me ages to perfect my cooking technique so I got
"Al Dente" pasta every time and so far I cannot get close to this with rice
pasta.  Just have to experiment some more I supoose.  I will inform the list
if there are any breakthroughs on the rice pasta cooking front.

As for going to the Asian food stores in town for chile stuff, don't really
need to.  I have a line of about a dozen Thai chile plants down the side of
the driveway which have been rather prolific in production this season.  I
was out picking just the orange and red pods off one plant last night and
got nearly a hundred small but pungent and HOT pods off before it got too
dark.  Eleven and a half plants to go! (might give me something to do
thisafternoon if it doesn't rain too much).

I've been contemplating different storage mthods for these pods and was
thinking of either:
a) putting them all in the blender and then freezing the resulting paste in
an ice-cube tray (one lump or two in tonights curry, buggerit, make it three
and eat it all myself); or
b) a combination of half stored by the above method and the other half
stored in oil (so I can use the oil as well).

I remember reading a while ago about the pitfalls of storing chile's in oil
but cannot remember the exact details so could those of you with "the
Knowledge" please refresh my memory.  If there's on thing I don't need at
the moment it's a dose of Salmonella/Botulism/Food poisoning.

TIA

Andrew Hood