Re: [CH] Rooting Powders

tucker (tucker@ticon.net)
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 19:15:03 -0500

George Nelson wrote:

> Tucker tucker <tucker@ticon.net>) was concerned because his "Bontone
> Rooting
> Powder" had as Active ingredient: Indole-3-butyric acid 0.10%."
>
> He further mentioned it was "for ornamentals only."
>
> Did it specifically say this on the instructions?

That it did. It mentioned that it should not be used on plants for "food or
feed". It also mentioned something about not using it where runoff might enter
water supplies. Not being a chemist, I wasn't sure of how great the risk of
usage was. But the rest of the label sounded equally upsetting, and I certainly
won't die without it (although I think it said I might if I eat the powder). No
biggie, got a fellow (non-list) C-H at work with willow access, and a park down
the road...

> With these products, at least you are getting what is on the label, however
> scary that may be.  The
> "natural" alternative, willow extract, will also contain other trace
> compounds and may include components from any disease the tree may have or
> from soil fungi.
>
> George

  Gee thanks, I hadn't yet considered that. Anyone out there deal in fully
organic willow cuttings?   ;-)

--
Erich
C-H # 2099