Re: [CH] News item

Dave Drum (xrated@famvid.com)
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 19:42:44 -0500

Mary & Riley wrote:

> Thought this might interest some of you.  In the April issue of Scientific
> American a short article says that current research has vindicated Kikunae
> Ikeda (of Japan) who said (100 years ago) that there was a fifth unique
> taste in addition to sweet, sour, bitter and salt.

> It's called "umami" (I'm not dissin yer mom, either).  The taste receptor
> reacts to L-glutamate which can act as a marker to high-protein foods.  It
> goes on to say that MSG (monosodium glutamate) maybe popular due to this.

> To bring this on topic, it crossed my mind that chili is enhanced by
> tomatoes, which are natural sources of msg, if I recall correctly.

Hmmmmmm..... I'll have to cross this into the FIDO Cooking Echo. We've
been discussing "hot" as a taste to go along with salt, sour, sweet and
bitter. We have determined that heat does modify the flavour of a food.
F'rinstance smoked country-stle ribs are nice and very tasty. But, the
addition of some of JC the Elder's Fiery Hot Habanero Sauce takes them
into another dimension incorporating and enhancing the salt and sweet
tastes by the addition of that little bit of heat... or a lot of heat if
you add a lot of sauce. It's cumulative.

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider