Re: [CH] Piri-Piri

Peter Moss (pmoss@yoda.alt.za)
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 20:53:54 RSA-2

> Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 09:44:47 -0400
> From: myron menaker <myronm@bellsouth.net>

> "Piri-Piri" pops up here on this list now and then. This
> appeared today in "Tip World:"

That explains it ;-)

> PIRI PIRI  Every cuisine has its hot sauce, and the West
> Indian version is called piri piri. Here's how you make it.
> Take two red chili peppers, and combine them with 1 cup olive
> oil, ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Two!" chiles in a cup of oil?  Half a handful would be more like
it.

BTW the chile used is what I term the 'African Devil' Chile.
This is a small C. frutescens type that grows "wild" throughout
Africa in one form or another.  Jim of Mild to Wild and "the
bread" fame may be able to help out with seeds or plants if he
saved any from his crop.  Ask him nicely and find out.  Others I
have sent seeds may also be able to help and if all else fails I
can send some in an exchange.

Otherwise use a tobasco chile, it is just a larger version of
the same species and not quite as hot, but close enough.

Peter

--
Peter Moss

After one hundred and fifty years and many thousands of firearms
control laws to reduce crime the list of successes should be
long and illustrious.  Where is the list?