Re: [CH] Two chile cultivation questions

Gail Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Fri, 05 May 2000 17:05:44 -0500

Greg-
I use black plastic every year, other colors won't stop the weeds from
growing.  I condition the soil and spread the sheet out over it.  Then I cut
holes (10" across) for the plants, and set them in.  It stops the weeds, but in
damp country it may pose a mold/fungus problem to your plants.  I have had
exceptional luck with it.

In Regard to the watering.  Wicking ropes will be insufficient for your needs
if you are any distance at all from the water.  If you have springs in the
subsurface, the plants may reach out and find their own if it is less than a
foot below the surface.
Calvin