Re: [CH] Hot & Spicy Newsletter

danceswithcarp (dcombs@bloomington.in.us)
Thu, 11 May 2000 08:37:59 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Douglas Irvine wrote:

> Yeah....they DID clean up Lake Erie, but I can still remember those
> brown floating things in Lake Ontario!

The major cleanup at Lake Erie was performed by the Zebra Mussel, the
thing everyone was panicking about 8 years ago.   They haven't removed the
chemical contaminants from the sediment but as they are filter-feeders
they have filtered most of the organic solids (brown stuff) out of the
water.  Summer walley fishermen reprot being able to *see* fish at depths
of over 100 feet.   The EPA estimated the cleanup using "Clean Water Act"
guidelines would take 200 years to get to this level of no turbidity.
Not all bad things are bad, not all good things are good.

Now, back on topic.  I sprouted 175 or so various chiles in window
greenhouses.  The day came to set them out to begin to harden them off; it
were a BEE-YOU-TEE-FULL sunny spring day.  By the next day 80% were
getting whiteleaf from sunburn and I lost all but about 25 in the days
immediately following even though I moved them into shade during the day.

Now I am buying this year's crop.  This is the second time I have fried
window sprouts.  Once, several years ago I left the lids on the
greenhouses by the windows and the sun came out and baked the plants
stiff.

The up side of that was I got to meet Jim Campbell The Oneth who came to
my rescue.

Not all bad things are bad.

carp