RE: [CH] epsom salt and insecticidal soap

Mary & Riley (uGuys@ChileGarden.com)
Thu, 11 May 2000 12:25:22 -0700

http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org/plants.htm

sez

Epsom Salt Crystals help your regular plant food work better.  Most
all-purpose plant foods do not contain the secondary nutrients magnesium and
sulfur which are essential to plant health.  Epsom Salt Crystals provide
these vital nutrients to help prevent loss of green color, yellowing leaves.
In additional, Epsom Salt Crystals make the primary nutrients in most plant
foods (nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium) more effective. Professional growers
rely on the elements in Epsom Salt Crystals for better yields and healthier
crops

Again, the above is an industry council statement, but it's rings true.
Calcium and magnesium are close chemically, and magnesium may very well
promote the availability or absorption of other nutrients.

My .02--I'm not an expert but wanted to point out that Epsom salt doesn't
actually have phosphorus in it.

Riley